Saturday, July 28, 2007

Midnight Hour...


I am fortunate in the fact that I enjoy my day job, but I confess, I relish my weekends. My "body-clock" relegates me to the status of "night-owl," and for reasons unknown to me, my creativity comes to life in the late night hours, the witching hour and beyond... Perhaps I have become conditioned to this time-frame because of my years singing in night clubs, into the wee hours of the morning. Being on hiatus from the music world, I have spent my nights in my art space, creating whimsical little "nature-spirit beings," digital photography and greeting cards, and most recently painting. I do not have training in the arts, but I am evolving and enjoying the creative play. I sculpt with polymer clay- completely handmade, no molds or patterns. Growing up with 10 brothers and sisters, we used to wonder how our mother could create a feast out of left-overs...as we used to say, "she could always make something out of nothing." I think that fascination has stuck with me all these years...I love to gather disparate objects, put them together in a way that makes sense, and end up with a one-of-a-kind piece of art. Semi-pictured is "Bat Girl," a midnight elemental completely sculpted by hand and born of my imagination. All of my elementals reflect the natural world, and the feminine energy of creation and protection; it is my way of protesting the "Mars" god-of-war energy permeating the earth today.

No comments: